Monday 7 November 2011

How can I satisfy what I want for the world and what I want for my closet?

American flags in Washington D.C.
Disclaimer: I'm not American

I was browsing through my twitter feed when I saw Bryan Boy post a link to this blog post, OP ED: Hypocrite Chic?, by Fashion Editor at Large. I thought it was really interesting because it discussed two conflicting things that I am quite passionate about. I have been struggling with my personal political convictions and my love for fashion as a form of creative self-expression. Ideally, I could just address both by wearing only thrifted or vintage items, or eco-friendly and local fashion. The Salvation Army and Value Village in my city are not within walking distance of where I live so it is quite inconvenient for me to go thrifting. Vintage stores in Halifax tend to be pricey and the sizes tend to be too big for my petite frame. Eco-friendly and local fashion are expensive, and often not my style. I'm sure there are amazing green designers out there that I have yet to discover, but I just haven't really made it a point to do my research. I have found a heap of excuses around these 'sustainable' forms of fashion; I acknowledge that it takes effort, but I often find myself resorting to these excuses anyway. The Occupy movements have made me think a lot more about my consumer habits (very powerful stuff for any ordinary citizen; don't underestimate it); while I think I'm doing pretty well on most fronts, I find myself struggling with fashion.

When I think of capitalism and our global economic order, I don't immediately think of the clothes on my back. The objects I picture in my head are usually commodities: food, oil, minerals, etc. From my studies, I've learned that commodities or primary products play a huge role in determining the socio-economic well-being of people within a society. If I want to make a difference in my consumer habits I usually look into what type of commodities I purchase.  For example, I don't eat fast food or processed food nearly as much as I used to. Even if our pantry is stocked with instant noodles and fast food joints are in every corner of this city, I try my best to avoid all of it. I still live with my parents so I don't have to buy groceries, but if I did live by myself I know I'd be more conscientious about the kind of food I'd buy. I'm convinced that I will eat less meat (once or twice a week) and only buy from local farmer's markets (expensive but the quantity per week will keep costs down) as soon as I move out. Right now, if I make a meal for myself, I usually stick to simple, home cooked meals incorporating as little processed ingredients as possible. It has gotten to the point where the thought of a McDonald's cheeseburger makes me want to gag or the thought of Tim Horton's makes me think of the coffee farmer who isn't paid fairly for his work. Through my eating habits, I am decreasing demand for products marketed by multinational corporations and increasing support for local producers. Though my actions create a microscopic dent in the economic system, I am still doing something to try and bridge the socio-economic gap that is so pervasive in our societies. I mean, that's the whole point of the Occupy movement.

The message of Occupy Wall Street is not based on anti-capitalism or anti-corporation, as Fox News would like you to believe. Activists are challenging global and national economic systems which have exacerbated gaps between the rich and the poor and threatened the fundamental ideals of democracy. Activists are challenging these systems because they only benefit those who are already in power, and leave people with no choice but to live their lives within a largely homogeneous, consumerist lifestyle. Arguments against the movement usually point out to the fact that many of the protesters are wearing Nike sneakers made in a sweatshop in  India, driving to Zuccotti Park on gasoline from Chevron, and fighting a government that has given their grandparents the elusive American Dream. These are all ignorant arguments, and it completely points to the fact that people want to remain apathetic. They have the time to make stupid memes, but apparently not enough to learn the true message behind the movement. If people bothered to read, they would know that people have to resort to these mega-corporations because they have monopolized their respective industries. Independent and local businesses have limited capabilities to grow because there is no support system for them unlike multinational corporations which are bailed out by governments. In turn, corporations become huge stakeholders in politics, thus dictating policies which will obviously favour them at the expense of the 99%. The mutual support from multinational corporations, governments, and institutional actors creates a global system which exacerbates inequalities within societies. Additionally, citizens cannot get their voices heard because they simply do not have the lobbying funds - like the Koch brothers - to get governments to listen. In that sense, one can argue that democracy has been reduced to bribery. It's a strong statement but I think it really makes one question if democratic participation is awarded based on monetary value.

With all of that in mind, where does that leave my love for shoes and clothes? Do I have to flip my consumer habits in order not to be labelled a hypocrite? I admit I am a hypocrite. I advocate for institutional change on the global economic scale, for better labour regulations in EPZs, and for the creation of more sustainable products among a multitude of other I-wish-for-a-better-world kind of dreams. I feel strongly about these things but I am wearing leggings made in China, a Beatles shirt from a controversial, right-wing, Christian company, and a hoodie from a sweatshop free clothing manufacturer owned by a guy with multiple sexual harassment lawsuits. Where do I begin? How can I satisfy what I want for the world and what I want for my closet? Is it even possible? Do I have to sacrifice one to get the other?

Fashion is a way of expressing one's creativity and individuality and I don't think it will ever go away. I have way too much fun wearing maxi skirts and having people look in my direction because my clothes are actually moving - omg. However, I do acknowledge that I have to make some changes in my consumer habits; I have done so with food (which I love) so I don't see why I can't do the same with my clothes. It will be a long process and it will eventually require me to look for new places to get my fix, but I am hopeful that it will be worth it. I think I'll end up being a lot more prudent with my expenses, and I think I'll end up with a lot more unique pieces, with better quality and sustainability. If my eating habits now are any indication of the kind of happiness and fulfillment I might expect, then I am looking forward to this new direction. Likewise, this blog will take on a new direction too.

When it comes down to it, I prioritize the message of OWS over a Proenza Schouler PS1. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment