Wednesday 23 November 2011

Sneakerhead


I am definitely not a sneakerhead. I do not collect fresh kicks - classic Jordans and multi-coloured Dunks. For years, the only pairs of shoes I've had remotely close to a sneaker were my pairs of black and cream Chuck Taylors and a pair of generic white plimsolls. This past summer, I was browsing through Fashiontoast when I saw Rumi Neely sporting a pair of Isabel Marant's Bobby sneakers - I fell in love. They were a simple colour, pretty nostalgic in design, and they looked super comfy too. As with the Dicker boots, these sneakers were way outside my budget so I settled on fawning over them online.

The day after I saw that blog post, I was walking around Georgetown in D.C. and I decided to check out H&M. I remember finding a black sweater with a kelly green peter pan collar, and I remember thinking that was the only thing I was going to buy (I just came from a whole week's worth of shopping in Boston and New York). Then, I found this pair of beige sneakers up on the shelf and I thought: neutral colour, suede material, nostalgic design = H&M's version of the sneaker. I took it off the shelf and brought it with me to the counter - the rest is history.

Sneakers from H&M
True story: every time I wear them I feel like I have tons of street cred.

2 comments: