Monday 12 September 2011

NYFW: Part I

Let's pretend I just got back to my midtown hotel room after a day of running in heels, hailing cabs, and being seated between editors and fashion bloggers. Now, let's pretend I'm crying because I can't wear heels for longer than five hours, I can only afford to take Metro Transit (thanks U-Pass!), and I'm bed-ridden because of zombie-chipmunk-cheeks-inducing teeth extractions last Friday. There's no need to pretend on the last run-on sentence because, unfortunately, they are all true. I'm stuck at home when I should be at school (sucks for dorks like me). I'm stuck in my pajamas when I could actually use a little bit of Spring/Summer inspiration and apply it into my transitional outfits. So for the sake of turning this sucky day around, and in the spirit of New York Fashion week, I present to you (or to no one) what I've liked so far from NYFW.

Jason Wu S/S12
First off, I have to say Karlie Kloss can walk. You can tell, even from the stationary photo of her on the far-right, that she makes walking look like some sort of captivating, seductive dance. Back to Jason Wu, I loved the prettier aspects of his collection which is why I chose these four feminine looks as my favourites. I particularly love how the bottom half of the black collared dress looks as if it's fading into smoke.

Nicholas K S/S12
I love knits and I love silk chiffon so put them together and you have a winning collection. The use of loose, drapey silhouettes gave the collection a very breezy, festival type of vibe. By using neutral and jewel-toned colours, it gave the clothes a little more sophistication. I am in love with the colour of the first dress. In. Love.

Nicole Miller S/S12
Nicole Miller found her inspiration in skate subculture, particularly the speed and energy inherent in those sports. The bright, 80s colours and the athletic details give the collection a youthful energy. By mixing geometric and abstract prints, Miller provided a fresh take to one of the past year's most talked about trends. Most of the looks I liked were separates because I could really see myself wearing them (if I had the bank account to back it up, of course)... yes, even the boob-baring black and white top second from right.

Rachel Comey S/S12
Rachel Comey is a genius for photographing cable knit, blowing up the pattern, and printing it on silk. The results are absolutely stunning. For someone who loves knit sweaters and the movement of silk/chiffon, it's like having the best of both worlds. One of the things I've loved about Comey's collections is that her models typically walk down the runway in flats. I live in flat shoes. Don't get me wrong, I get transfixed over Louboutins and blogger-friendly Jeffrey Campbells; but they're just not the practical shoe to have in my life right now. Having the models in flats gives Comey's collection a more casual, I-live-in-a-college-town kind of atmosphere, which is currently what I inhabit.

So I will end it there for now. I'm thinking four designers are enough to sate your sartorial appetites. I will come back another day to continue with the collages and the commentary. And if it weren't already obvious, I'd just like to apologize because I am no expert in fashion. It has only become an interest within the last three or four years, so I'm not greatly familiar with cuts, fabric, designer histories, etc. This blog is a process of me developing my interest, so hopefully I'll keep to it and maybe you won't have to skip through my incoherent rambling next time. 'Til my next blog (just kidding).

No comments:

Post a Comment