Tuesday 13 September 2011

NYFW: Part II

Hey, I'm back for another installment of New York Fashion week photos (borrowed off Style.com and artfully staged in Photoshop) with matching witty commentary on the state of fashion today and the aesthetic which characterizes New York designers apart from their peers in other fashion capitals of the world. Just kidding. I'm just here to breathe some internet air and release my haphazard thoughts on some collections my eyeballs just loved.

Alexander Wang S/S12
Start off with a bang with Alexander Wang (cue crickets). I'm with majority of my blogging generation when I say Alexander Wang is one of the most coveted and influential designers of our time. We love the casual edginess of his just-rolled-out-of bed signature frocks. He makes t-shirts and sweatpants look so cool, you attempt to recreate it with your dorm room duds only to realize your efforts are in vain. It must take a fashion prodigy to create something so primary as a t-shirt but in a way that is so exciting and markedly new. Sorry, I really love Alexander Wang. To be honest though, this season's collection failed to excite me as much as his past ones did. I wasn't too big on the mesh and what looked to be ruching, which were featured in quite a number of looks. However, what I did like, I liked a lot. I loved the motocross references in the printed bottoms and the graphic sheer sweaters. The sheer black corset and shirt are to die for and the sweaters need to be in my closet right now.

Band of Outsiders S/S12
When I looked at Band of Outsiders' collection I immediately saw a setting: pastoral town. The clothes were pretty and romantic, but you could tell there was something eerie about it all. Maybe it was the concrete and iron backdrop of the runway or maybe it was the stoic (obviously) expressions on the models' faces. Either way, the garments were wearable in the sense that they could pass for wardrobe in a Reese Witherspoon movie set in the American south - and I mean that in a good way.

Charlotte Ronson S/S12
Charlotte Ronson's collection displayed a seventies bohemian feel with Victorian detailing. Honestly, I didn't really see much of the latter details until reading about it in the Style review, but I did notice all the preppy elements. I love the mix of sweater vests and sheer, feminine shorts and dresses. The flowy ombre tank beautifully juxtaposes against the bold striped skirt, and I can definitely see the striped dress being one of her more marketable pieces. My favourite from the collection would have to be the denim shirt dress because it gives the old 'mom's shirt dress' a fresh take. With proper styling and modern touches, it could become a very versatile piece in someone's spring/summer wardrobe.

Sachin + Babi S/S12
I wouldn't have known of Sachin + Babi if it hadn't been for the extensive list of designers in Style's NYFW section. I'm glad I stumbled upon their collection because it was a treat to see their youthful and refined aesthetic. Their pieces are definitely simple but I was won over by the details in the garments and the overall styling of their looks. The white dress with what looks to be chambray sleeves is really pretty; of course, I'm partial to all things chambray. The lambskin circle skirt stands out against the white top and it's exactly how I would've style it given the chance. Overall, I love the colour palette of this collection: bright white, black, navy and the perfect shade of coral. I wish the weather would go back up a couple degrees so I can channel the rightmost look with my chambray lawn shirt and white shorts.

So, that is it for Part II of my NYFW recap of sorts. I find that I'm featuring a lot of designers even if my intention was only to feature my favourites. It's really hard to pick favourites when there are so many different points of view. Then there are times when there are certain pieces you just have to show within a certain collection, even when the overall collection wasn't very impressive. I don't know. Pictures are pretty, I guess. Right now, I have 15 more collages hiding in the recesses of my laptop (and NYFW isn't even over yet) and I think I might stagger the posts a little. After all, spring 2012 isn't here for another six months so I'm  sure we'll all have enough time to prepare our closets for that season. And hopefully clock in enough hours at work to buy a lamb for my upcoming DIY circle skirt project...

No comments:

Post a Comment